Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Surfing and getting stitches in Tamarindo

It's been a pretty slow week for the surfing this week for me.  High tides have been in the late afternoons, and the winds have been pretty strong and onshore.  I guess I could go in the morning(s), but my work needs me to be in pretty early.

I have found that some of the quieter breaks like Palm Beach Estates to be good for long boarding.  It is a break south of Playa Grande at marker 25...about 500 meters south, but there is a place to park a car nearby if you know the area.

The other day I was surfing a big heavy funboard there without a leash doing some new tricks.  Starting on one foot surfing regular then doing a 180 and surfing  goofy.  Kinda fun!   I did a carve back on a goofy left and lost my board, so had to swim into shore for it.

As I was about to pick it up in about 3 feet of water, a wave back washed into it and it smashed my head.  Right away I knew there was a cut.  With blood pouring down my face, I made it back to the car where I keep a BIG first aid kit and administered triage on myself.

The local doctor wasn't in, so I hit the EMS where I was treated by a really great guy...who asked me why I surfed because "it is so dangerous".  Apparently, he is constantly putting people back together who come off the breaks.  The cost was only $60 by the way.

Anyways, four stitches to my head later and I am grounded to dry land for the next few days.  The worst things about the accident.

1 - Lidocaine doesn't work on me yet they refuse to give me a better pain killer when sewing me up.  Basically, I was stitched up sans anesthetic .

2 -   I should know better then to surf a break alone...dumb ass!

3 - The surf was soooo good...I only got 45 minutes in before smashing open my skull

Anyways, I am seriously looking into surfing with a helmet.  I snow board with one...I kite surf with one...I drive my Ducatti with one...

See you on the breaks in a few days when the weekend swell hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment