Friday, March 27, 2009

Surfing in Panama at Santa Catalina


It’s a lazy Friday afternoon now and the pay phones are on the fritz, so there is no way of finding out if the world still exists outside this village. I have seen buses come in from Sona, the nearest big town, so one can only assume Skynet hasn’t been activated.

I am on the hotel patio watching the shop so to say. Michelle is in Panama City, and Mike is down at his bar doing some welding. Somehow I managed to be in charge for a while because Mike’s 8 year old kid Zack had to show the furniture guys where to go to deliver the new bar furnishings. Kinda funny really, but also very chill. It’s not like there are waves right now, so I get to greet people including a couple of girls from Belgium who were looking for a place to stay.

You meet the world on these trips. So far on this trip have met people from the following countries – Canada, USA, France, Belgium, Italy, France, Germany, Holland, Israel, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Costa Rica, the UK and Ireland. In fact, the Irish couple knew exactly the town my parents live in near Cork.

Random observation – I just noticed that there is a chicken beside me pecking at the dirt in the planter beside me. I have decided to name her ”Pollo Frito“. It must be dinner time.

---

I just came back from dinner with Schmoo (owns the Dive Bar), Brian (from Colorado), Claire (Dive master from the UK), Heather and Michael (Canucks who own fluid kayak tours). And I sat beside the three Panamanian girls with whom I shared a break with today for three hours. It was just the four of us on Punta Bravo this morning and I got to know them quite well, even with my half-assed attempts at speaking Spanish. Funny…it turns out that one of the girls with whom I was sharing waves was the female surf champion of Central America named Pancha. She and I actually took the same wave a dozen times with one of yelling dereche or izequere (right or left), so we could hit the same break. I had no idea until tonight when she & I were talking about surfing Central America and her friend asked me if I knew who she was. Naturally, I said no…“do you know who I am?“ Haha, surfers are so cool. Imagine sitting next to Michael Jordan and not knowing who he was, like that would ever happen. Surfers, pro or amateur all share a commonality of love for the ocean, respect for fellow surfers and cold beer. And damned we are a good looking tribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment